Sunday, July 29, 2007

Dead Silence (2007)


Director: James Wan

Writer: Leigh Whannell, James Wan

Tagline: You scream. You die.

Actors: Ryan Kwanten, Amber Valletta, Donnie Wahlberg, Michael Fairman, Bob Gunton, Laura Regan, Judith Roberts

Runtime: 1h 30m

Category: Ghost, Revenge, Supernatural

Synopsis: In the small town of Raven’s Fair, an accomplished ventriloquist, Mary Shaw, is brutally murdered for the disappearance of a young boy, who had mocked her during one of her shows. Legend states that she came back to take her revenge on the family that killed her. The most beloved of her dolls, Billy, somehow ends up on the doorstep of Jamie Ashen. He visits his father in Raven’s Fair to ask him about the strange doll and Mary Shaw but neither he nor any of the townsfolk will talk about her. Now haunted by Mary Shaw herself, he begins his own investigation into what turns out to be a real-life nightmare. What connection could he have with this horrifying specter that would warrant such and onslaught?

Review: As a fan of Twisted Pictures Production Company, I was really looking forward to this movie. I had been pining for months about it and when the moment arrived for my viewing pleasure, I could hardly contain myself. Unfortunately, I was slightly disappointed. I was expecting much, much more out of this company. I think I may have ruined it by expecting so much in the first place. Although it was a good movie with some very memorable moments, I was not impressed with the “drawn-outness” of the production.

The story, on the other hand, was terrific. I loved the concept and thought that it was very well executed. But here’s the rub; the story, although fantastic, was too simple. There is only so much you can do with the cinematics before it becomes redundant. I think if they would have done more story on Mary Shaw’s background it would have compensated for the drawn-out portions of the film. Please don’t get me wrong, I liked the movie, but I wish it had more substance. And the ending made absolutely no sense; just who was Jamie’s step-mother supposed to be? Mary Shaw had no children; so that rules out her being her daughter. The reincarnation of Mary Shaw? No, because Mary Shaw lived through her dolls. Although it was a really cool twist, it confused the hell out of me.

In contrast, the effects used in this movie were very, very good. The make-up and the animation were really convincing, making for an unforgettable horror movie moment. The face of Mary Shaw, just like the faces in The Gravedancers (2006) and The Ring (2002), is a face that will never be forgotten. It’s like Freddy Krueger, if you will; you will always remember what that face looks like. And with proper animation and make-up, like in this flick, you can create that memorable moment. These are the staples of the (human) horror villain.

Apart from the terrific story and graphics, is the acting. This is where I got upset. I was horrified to see that not only couldn’t these people not act, they gave me absolutely no connection to the character. I felt like I was watching them read lines instead of watching them perform. I actually started pulling away from the story because I was focusing on the lack of talent cast to this wonderful story. It was embarrassing!

Rating: 18. I rate it higher than I normally would have, considering the lack of acting ability, but the face of Mary Shaw and the overall concept saved it. It was a good movie, no doubt, but the acting and the down-time hurt the production. If you get the chance, check it out, go see it now even…but…

“Beware the stare of Mary Shaw. She had no children, only dolls. And if you see her, do not scream. Or she'll rip your tongue out at the seam.”

(18of25).

No comments: