Friday, July 27, 2007

The Messengers (2007)


Director: Oxide Pang Chun, Danny Pang

Writer: Mark Wheaton, Todd Farmer

Tagline: There is evidence to suggest that children are highly susceptible to paranormal phenomena. They see what adults cannot. They believe what adults deny. And they are trying to warn us.

Actors: Kristen Stewart, Dylan McDermott, Penelope Ann Miller, John Corbett, William B. Davis

Category: Ghost, Psychological, Supernatural

Synopsis: On a peaceful sunflower farm in North Dakota, Roy and Denise Solomon and their children Jess and Ben are trying to make ends meet. To help them out they hire John Burwell, a local farmhand, who seems to know a thing or two. Ben, a toddler, has been giggling a lot and playing with what seems to be an invisible figure. Soon Jess begins to notice strange goings-on and starts to actually get attacked by some ghostly woman! But her parents don’t believe her and the only other person that can see “them” too is not yet vocal. How can you stop what isn’t there? What is John hiding? Who are the ghosts Jess keeps getting attacked by?

Review: I think that all of the best parts of the movie were shown in the previews. I could just leave my review at that but I can’t. So…the only thing I liked about this movie was the animation of the ghosts…that’s it. The rest of the movie I could have done without. The story was too simple; stuff I’ve seen over and over. The plot was weak with John ending up being the ultimate reason behind the haunting…just kinda boring. The concept was alright; a murdered family coming back to take revenge on the father who killed them…eh. I should have listened to my wife’s friend from her office; she said don’t bother seeing this movie…it sucked! I would disagree with it “sucking” but I would say that it was close. The acting was good (what little there really was). Kristen Stewart kinda stole the movie because she was the only one who really had to act…except for John Corbett at the end. But otherwise it was a boring movie…way too hyped up.

Rating: 8. I was gonna rate it higher simply because I like Kristen Stewart’s acting but I must be fair. The animation of the ghosts and Kristen and John’s acting were the only things I really liked. Overplayed story, underachieved “terror”, and expectable shock values…not impressed…at all! Don’t bother with this movie. If you really want to see it, wait until it comes to video, and then download it from Peekvid or something. Or just don’t bother…or…just do whatever you want. But don’t see this piece of trash! (8of25).

No comments: