Monday, July 30, 2007

Wrong Turn (2003)


Director: Rob Schmidt

Writer: Alan B. McElroy

Tagline: It's the last one you'll ever take.

Actors: Desmond Harrington, Eliza Dushku, Emmanuelle Chriqui, Jeremy Sisto, Kevin Zegers, Lindy Booth, Julian Richings, Garry Robbins, Ted Clark

Runtime: 1h 24m

Category: Cannibal, Mountain-Men

Synopsis: Jessie and her four friends are out for a weekend camping trip to have some “away time”. Chris Flynn is on his way to a meeting and runs into Jessie and her friends…well…their car is more like it. Now, Jessie and Chris, and Carly and Scott are romping through the brush trying to find civilization when they come across a cottage in the middle of nowhere. One of the girls needs to pee so they go inside; where they find the most grotesque surroundings. When the owners come home, they hide. But from their hiding spots they can see that these three freakish men are carrying something big…human size! They watch helplessly as the three men chop and carve at none other than Jessie’s friend Francine! After the three mountain-men fall asleep, they make a break for it and end up being chased through the forest by a bunch of flesh-hungry cannibals. Who will survive this cat-and-mouse-like fiasco…and who will become dinner?

Review: When I first heard about this movie I was kinda taken back. I wasn’t sure if they were supposed to be playing off of The Hills Have Eyes (1977) or if they were doing something different. But once I saw that it had a slightly different premise and an obviously different setting I was able to catch my breath. I was worried though, about how they were gonna portray these freaks of nature, because the myths and legends associated with massive inbreeding are…well…myths and legends. But I think that one might be plenty surprised, as I was.

The story was nothing new; a cannibalistic family is on the hunt for a bunch of twenty-somethings who end up winning. It’s not an award-winning concept, but a well addressed one. I think what intrigues us about this kind of topic is that science is not really sure what the ramifications of severe inbreeding would be. Obviously the medical code of ethics would never allow that kind of experiment, thus we have to leave the answers to Hollywood; who stop nothing short of amazing. Apart from being a common story, this one hit a little more towards home; taking place in the woods where people could camp.

The acting was not what I had expected. I was sure I was gonna see compelling acting and solid performances…I was a bit off. I’m not saying that the acting was bad; it just seemed strained the whole time. It seemed like the actors were trying too hard to play their characters. Maybe it’s just me…but I think that the actors were a little short on emotion. There are other emotions besides fear you know. And what was up with Desmond Harrington’s character Chris? Mr. “I know all about medicine, and I can keep my cool while watching a chick get dismembered and beheaded, and I’m a tactical genius but never knew it”. That character made me want to lick a retired hooker.

I have to say that if it weren’t for the effects, this movie would have sucked. I was amazed at what they were able to accomplish. All of the death scenes were perfect and very well executed. The blood was very well orchestrated and used wisely. And the little CGI that was used was nicely done. Like the scene where you see that chick’s body fall from through the trees…sweeeeet! (sorry…I got excited). But I was very impressed with the graphics. The make-up was also very well done…yeah…Ms. Dushku seemed to have some on all the time…even while tied up and gagged. But on a more serious note, the cannibal’s faces and make-up were spectacular. The prosthetics people were really having a good day.

Rating: 19. It’s kinda low for a movie I actually liked but I must be fair. Even though the acting was not to par with this type of movie, the graphics and make-up saved it from being a lot lower. I also liked that even though they were going off of a previous story, they were successful in making it their own. Thus…props to you and the crew. Peace. (19of25).

P.S. I still love Eliza Dushku...so hot!

No comments: