Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)


Director: Robert Wiene

Writer: Hans Janowitz, Carl Mayer

Tagline: You must become Caligari.

Actors: Werner Krauss, Conrad Veidt, Friedrich Feher, Lil Dagover, Hans Heinrich von Twardowski, Rudolf Lettinger, Ludwig Rex

Runtime: 51m

Category: Killer, Thriller

Synopsis: A traveling fair has stopped in the small town of Holstenwall. Along with it comes a shifty fellow named Dr. Caligari. He obtains his permit from the town clerk to operate his sideshow; one featuring a somnambulist named Cesare. The next morning, the town clerk is found dead – murdered! Alan begs his friend Francis to go but, when his future is predicted by the somnambulist, he finds that he only has until dawn to live. Cesare’s prophesy bears fruit as a town-wide manhunt begins for the mysterious killer. All seems calm after a man is captured trying to murder an elderly woman; they believe they have found the killer. That night, Jane, Francis’ fiancée, is attacked and carried off into the sunrise – by none other than Caligari’s Cesare! Can Francis discover the truth about Caligari before it’s too late?

Review: I was a bit apprehensive about reviewing a movie that is so old. I figured, however, that if I plan to be an influential movie critic, I’d be better off knowing my roots. Thus, I decided to give it my best shot. So here you go…

The story is slightly hard to follow simply because of the lack of script. But from the script they do give you, you are able to decipher enough to understand the storyline. I thought that the story was the most compelling part of the film. I loved how at the end they made it seem possible that the whole thing was in Francis’ head; that he was the crazy one all along. I find it interesting simply because we see that concept from time to time, today. But for such a story to be told back in the 1920’s…my God! I would not be surprised if, after seeing this film back in the day, people walked out of the “picture show” and fainted right there in the street.

The acting was typical for the time; overly dramatic and dry. But one cannot judge a film on acting alone. I must say that even though the acting was more comical than believable, the movie was in no way impaired by over-dramatics.

The effects, also, were typical of the time. Not much can be said here – simply because the effects back then were more about camera angles and how to fade to the next shot. But I can mention the set…cause, damn. From what I understand, this is considered an expressionist-art film…which would explain the Dr. Seuss-like sets. If the sets would have been real and/or real-looking, like today’s, than I think the film would have been even creepier. But I gotta hand it to the set coordinator(s)…you really have an eye for the abstract.

Rating: 17. The sets and dramatics of the day seemed to hinder the full strength of the film. I think that if this film were to be remade…it could be amazing. But overall, the story, being the main part of the film, was, and is still, so compelling that it warrants a high rating. Here is to one of the most influential film of the 20th century. A film that sanctioned the birth of the “plot twist”. To the director and writers…I thank you. (17of25).

No comments: