Thursday, December 27, 2007

Rotten Shaolin Zombies (2004)


Director: Blaine Wasylkiw

Writer: Blaine Wasylkiw

Tagline: Filthy. Decomposing. Ass-kickers.

Actors: Wilson Wong, Wil Yee, Anders J. Svensson, Paul Marshall, Owen Wong, Gunther Schetterer, Joel Gerritsen

Runtime: 23m

Category: Action, Comedy, Zombie

Synopsis: Two brothers who have always been best friends grow up and become master martial artists. They spar together every day under the watchful eye of Sensei. One day while at a restaurant, they order the Dirty Lung Fish, which is apparently a delicacy somewhere. The fish very poisonous and is still technically alive when served, but when prepared properly it is safe to eat. The fish attacks one brother and end up killing him by way of eye-eating/blood loss. The remaining brother buries his kin and continues on…sadly. One day he sees his beloved brother hobbling down the sidewalk. He catches up to him only to realize he’s a zombie! Now, they must battle to the death, for zombie brother’s piece, or the living brother’s conviction to stop his zombie brother.

Review: I was not really sure what to make of this film, from beginning to end. After the first couple of minutes I started thinking, “Is this for real?” And, yes…it was. I watched it twice just to make sure I got it and I think I pissed myself a little bit from laughing so hard. From beginning to end I laughed. I laughed when the fish attacked, I laughed when the living brother and the zombie brother were singing, and I even laughed when that dude with the zebra head started talking smack. I haven’t laughed this hard in a long time.

The story was not bad for a…I’m sorry, I can’t do this. The story was awful. I’m sorry Blaine. The undead doing Kung-Fu…please. But…I did love it something terrible. I loved the story even though it was just horrific. This was one of the funniest parts of the film; the fact that a zombie can do Kung-Fu…how hilarious is that?!?

The acting was typical of an independent film made by a bunch of friends. I was expecting it to be like some sort of backyard-film shot with a Hi-8 or something…and it was…minus the Hi-8. Each character had their own little quips that made them funny as hell. I especially loved the ass-kicking the zombie brother dished out before he was bitten. The whole Bruce Lee impression was dead on. The acting seemed like a bunch of friends got together and said to one another, “Let’s make a funny-ass zombie flick with a zombie that does Kung-Fu.” And good times were had by all…DYN-O-MITE!

The effects were even funnier than the story. I haven’t laughed like this since The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra (2001). During the restaurant scene you can actually see the strings used to make the fish move. I love it when that stuff is intentional. It’s a great way to ease down after a major gore-fest film.

The gore was actually not half bad for a horror-comedy short. I was not expecting to see what I did. I have to applaud the entire cast and crew for putting out one of the funniest film I’ve ever seen. Very much, Bravo!

Rating: I really am sorry for doing this, guys but…no! This deserves a great rating! I’m gonna give this pile a 23. Simply because I think stuff came out my nose while I was laughing during this entire film. I gotta hand it to the cast and crew; you guys can really put out a terrific zomedy. Thank you for unleashing this dishevelment upon us. (23of25).

No comments: