Sunday, July 29, 2007

Children of the Corn (1984)


Director: Fritz Kiersch

Writer: Stephen King, George Goldsmith

Tagline: An adult nightmare.

Actors: Peter Horton, Linda Hamilton, R.G. Armstrong, John Franklin, Courtney Gains, Robby Kiger, Anne Marie McEvoy

Runtime: 1h 33m

Category: Demon, Psychological, Religious

Synopsis: A couple (Burt & Vicky) are traveling to California and get lost in the mid-western town of Gatlin. They hit a kid running out of the corn field and kill him. They drive into Gatlin to find the place abandoned. All businesses are closed and there are corn stalks everywhere. They try to find someone to report the murder to but there is no one around. They find two young kids that explain what happened to the town three years ago. Isaac, one of the town youth, convinces all of the other kids in town that he hears God talking to him and that they are supposed to kill all of the adults. Once someone reaches nineteen they are sacrificed to “He who lives behind the rows”. Once Burt and Vicky find Isaac and his sidekick Malachi they are now the hunted. Burt figures out a way to out smart Isaac and starts to convince the rest of the kids that Isaac is nuts. Once he realizes that there is something living in the corn they only have a short time to destroy it before they are the ones sacrificed and the town goes back to its childish ways.

Review: When I saw this movie fifteen years ago I loved it. When I saw it six months ago I loved it. I think that a movie about freaky kids that think God has told them to kill all adults, and live as Amish, is just ridiculous enough for Stephen King to write about and make a movie from. The red head kid, Malachi, looks like it could be Carrot Top twenty two years ago. It isn’t, but the dude looks just like him. I mean really, are we really supposed to think that a group of kids can survive living in a rural town with no power, water, or food for three years?

I think the simplicity of the film is what makes it cool. I don’t think this is a really scary movie but it is creepy. There wasn’t a bunch of big budget, Asian rip-off, CGI effects; just a good ol’ fashioned mind screw. That is what King made his money on. Making you scare yourself.

Rating: 17 out of 25. I think that because I was thirteen when I first saw this movie I have a sentimental spot for it. When I watch it now I just look at how well done it was for the time and how if you let your mind wander you can play the “what if” game with it. Because we all think we could kick some ass if we had to but I am willing to bet my brother’s movie collection that 90% of you would run like little girls if the situation arose. Everyone thinks they are a hero until they have to be a hero. (17of25).

No comments: