Sunday, July 29, 2007

Grindhouse (2007): Argument II


Director: Robert Rodriguez, Quentin Tarantino

Writer: Robert Rodriguez, Quentin Tarantino

Tagline: Welcome to the Grindhouse.

Actors: [See Individual Films]

Runtime: 3h 11m

Category: [See Individual Films]

Note: The reason this review has been split is because Big Daddy and I have differing views on almost all of the contents of this compilation of films. Each will feature his review followed by my rebuttal.

Synopsis: Grindhouse: /grīndhows/ n. • 1 a burlesque house, esp. one providing continuous entertainment at reduced prices. • 2 a movie theater that shows films throughout the day and all or most of the night.

Review: In the sense of paying homage to the Grind Houses of the late 70’s and early 80’s, I do agree that this has been a great experience. And as a horror “movie”, of which this site is dedicated, I was impressed. Considering that Grind Houses did not only show horror movies, it was a very well put together piece. The only problem I had doing this review, apart from the time I knew it would take, is that it can’t be completely classified as horror. But in a literal sense we have been able to finally compile this jumble and extend it to you.

Overall I would have to say that most of this “movie” was pretty good. The grainy cinematography and the missing and/or destroyed reels gave it more of a 70’s feel, adding the ambiance of the whole sha-bang. The movies were well placed and the mock-previews were wonders within themselves. From what I understand, some of the previews are actually going to be produced and released straight to DVD. In some cases, that makes me happy (more on which cases later in the review).

Rating: 25. Even though I did not care much for Death Proof (2007), I remain objective. The whole compilation was well done and I was very impressed with the tenacity of the writers, directors, producers, and actors alike. With the main overview of this set…I agree with Big Daddy. (25of25).

No comments: