Sunday, July 29, 2007

Grindhouse (2007): Argument I


Director: Robert Rodriguez, Quentin Tarantino

Writer: Robert Rodriguez, Quentin Tarantino

Tagline: Welcome to the Grindhouse.

Actors: [See Individual Films]

Runtime: 3h 11m

Category: [See Individual Films]

Note: The reason this review has been split is because Big Daddy and I have differing views on almost all of the contents of this compilation of films. Each will feature his review followed by my rebuttal.

Synopsis: Grindhouse is a term that refers to the movie houses of the late 70’s and early 80’s, where young people would go on Fridays and Saturdays to catch a double-feature of some of the bloodiest, exciting, explosive, and campiest B-movies of the time. The movies may not have been deepest or award-worthy on most levels, but these movies were about enjoying yourself!

Review: You have to applaud Tarantino and Rodriguez for bringing this idea back to life. Despite what people, myself included, think of Grindhouse (2007), this project was done out of pure love for movies.

These directors got together with more of their friends (other directors) and put together a project that they could have fun with. On a personal level, I hope the Grindhouse continues to add movies with different directors doing different types of B-movies.

Rating: 25. I gave Grindhouse (2007) a 25, not for the movies, but for the idea alone. This is the type of creativity that directors need in this day and age. I didn’t necessarily enjoy both films, but I waited so long for this to be released that the enjoyment I found at the experience was worth the price of the ticket. (25of25).

No comments: