Sunday, July 29, 2007

The Hamiltons (2006)


Director: The Butcher Brothers (Mitchell Altieri and Phil Flores)

Writer: The Butcher Brothers, Adam Weis

Tagline: Every Family Has Its Secrets.

Actors: Cory Knauf, Samuel Child, Joseph McKelheer, Mackenzie Firgens, Rebekah Hoyle, Brittany Daniel, Al Liner, Jena Hunt, Tara Glass

Runtime: 1h 26m

Category: Horrorfest, Killer, Slasher, Other

Synopsis: The Hamiltons are an average family in an average town. Only, the Hamiltons have a very dark secret. Out on a midnight drive, Wendell Hamilton knocks out the two girls he picked up. He brings them back to the house where he chains them by their hands to the ceiling in the storm cellar. Francis Hamilton, the youngest brother, is having reservations about the type of “night life” his two brothers have been into lately. He starts talking to the girl in the cellar and he tells her that he is not like the rest of his family. Eventually he finds out just how much like them he really is.

Review: I had my suspicions right from the beginning about what kind of movie this was gonna be. I ended up being right but I was hesitant about putting its main genre in the “Category” heading. Eventually I decided not to due to the fact that that would give most of the movie away and leave nothing to the imagination. Although you’ll probably figure it out yourself, I have been heckled before about my big mouth and giving away important plot points.

I was surprised at the story altogether. It was nothing like I had expected. I thought it was gonna be just another House of 1000 Corpses (2003) rip-off; with the cannibalism and the kidnapping and the torture. I was mostly wrong. Although there is the element of kidnapping, no real torture except for the girls hanging from the ceiling. No cannibalism either. So now I, as a horror fan and up incoming connoisseur, find myself in an odd position, not necessarily sure what to make of this movie. Then the giveaway hit me and started to rebuild. The story was very well thought out and well scripted. I liked how they were able to do things others like them could not (I’m really trying not to give anything away here…bear with me). This “new” concept, albeit slightly ballsy, is a rude awakening for fans of this genre. You will be happy with the outcome…trust me.

The acting was not bad but I was expecting a bit more out of the Wendell character. He seemed to be the most unstable and would have liked to see him in a slightly more “crazed” demeanor. Other than that small detail, I thought the acting was pretty good. Very believable characters with very extensive extremes. I thought the actors did the characters justice.

The gore, on the other hand, was one thing that kept me glued to my screen. The sheer amount and use of blood and “tissue” were wonderful. The gore was well made and nicely executed. I think that we will be seeing even greater things from The Butcher Brothers.

Rating: 22. I would have like to see more back-story on the family itself. I think it would have done nicely, although I do understand that time and money is a factor. Apart from that and a little “holding back” with the Wendell character, I thought that this movie was absolutely wonderful. A good story with nice twists and believable acting with copious amounts of gore make this a film to be reckoned with. (22of25).

No comments: