Sunday, July 29, 2007

The Hills Have Eyes II (2007)


Director: Martin Weisz

Writer: Jonathan Craven, Wes Craven

Tagline: Last year the lucky ones died first. On March 23rd the lucky ones die fast.

Actors: Michael McMillian, Jessica Stroup, Daniella Alonso, Jacob Vargas, Lee Thompson Young, Ben Crowley, Eric Edelstein, Flex Alexander, Reshad Strik, Michael Bailey Smith

Runtime: 1h 29m

Category: Cannibal, Mountain-Men, Slasher, Torture

Synopsis: A group of National Guard trainees spend their last day of training in the desert where the government used to test nuclear weapons. Not long after arriving they get attacked by some gruesome looking man. Not knowing whether or not there are more like him, they go in search for their missing general. One by one these strange-looking men begin to pick off the remaining members of the team. And after one of them gets kidnapped, the rest go into the mines on a rescue mission, only to find death and horror awaiting them. Can the remainder of the team work together to get out alive?

Review: After all of the hype about this sequel, I was expecting to be horrified and grossed-out. On the contrary, I was bored and confused. What few visible attack scenes there were, were jumbled and partially out of camera shot. I almost felt like I was watching The Blair Witch Project (1999) again. The story itself was so simple a child could have written it: the National Guard shows up and gets attacked and killed. Not a whole lot more went on. Along with that, the script was lax, the last half of the movie was too dark to see damn near anything, and the few mountain-men they showed were so poorly shot that you could hardly make out what they looked like.

The only things about this movie I liked were the acting and the gore (what little there was). The actors made their characters believable, pulling me into the movie. Unfortunately, I wanted out of the movie so bad, I decided a quarter of the way through to overlook the acting. Thus, giving me the harsh realization that this movie was really dumb. But the little gore they had was very, very well done.

Rating: 13. I know I’m gonna get a lot of crap for this but I don’t really care. This movie was boring and lame. I would have rather watch the first one again where I can actually see the mountain-men and enjoy the fine art of prosthetics. So if you are planning on seeing this movie, please reconsider…you will be wasting your time. Wait until it comes out to DVD and rent it at Family Video for two bucks…because that’s all it’s worth. Sorry, I was disappointed too. (13of25).

No comments: