Monday, July 30, 2007

The Ugly (1997)


Director: Scott Reynolds

Writer: Scott Reynolds

Tagline: Murder is in the eye of the beholder.

Actors: Paolo Rotondo, Rebecca Hobbs, Jennifer Ward-Lealand, Roy Ward, Vanessa Byrnes, Paul Glover, Christopher Graham, Jon Brazier

Runtime: 1h 33m

Category: Killer, Thriller

Synopsis: Simon is being visited by yet another psychiatrist. Placed into a mental institution after brutally murdering at least a dozen people, including his own domineering mother. The psychiatrist, Dr. Karen Schumaker has been personally called by Simon to do yet another evaluation. During their discussions, Simon details to Karen that his childhood was filled with abuse, both familial and scholastic, and disappointment. Hoping to find out exactly why Simon began killing in the first place, Dr. Schumaker digs a bit deeper. Eventually she finds what she has been looking for…only it is not what she had expected! Simon says that he hears the voices of his victims telling him to kill…and keep killing! Now, Karen is in…but is there a way out?

Review: I first heard about this movie when I was watching Bravo’s 100 Scariest Movie Moments of All Time. I knew nothing about it and didn’t really know how to prepare myself. But after the movie was finally over I realized the reason Bravo had included this film in it’s to 100.

The story is very compelling in the sense that you know that Simon is a serial killer and that he is mentally deranged…but you can’t help feel sorry for him. This is the first movie I’ve ever seen where the writer’s intention was to specifically make you relate positively to the bad guy. Then after Karen breaks through, you see a whole new Simon…the serial killer Simon. This change brought about the center of the story; The Ugly. The Ugly are the victims of Simon’s crimes that have stuck around to make him kill more. That is one hell of a concept; that your victims stay with you and force you to continue your evil deeds. This story was awesome!

The acting was ok. I wasn’t thrilled with the acting but it was the astounding suspense that kept me glued to my massive 20in. Apex. But the acting was convincing enough to make be believe and to draw me more into the story…of which is the ultimate intension.

The effects were pretty good for pre-millennia flick. The throat cutting was not too bad…actually…it was decent. But it was The Ugly that got me the most. Those people were scary as friggin hell! And when they started talking…oh!...I almost dropped a log right on the couch! For a ’97 flick…these effects kicked ass!

Rating: 20. Even though I loved the story…there was a whole lot of it. I think that if the story was shorter and there was more of a struggle between Simon and Karen, this flick would have been wicked boss! But I have to leave it with a 20 and let it alone. I must say though…this movie should not be missed. If you ever get the chance, find it. Actually, it’s on Comcast’s OnDemand feature under “Free Movies”, “FEARnet”, then “All Movies”. That should take you right to it. Peace! (20of25).

No comments: