Thursday, August 30, 2007

Bloody Mary (2006)


Director: Richard Valentine

Writer: Richard Valentine

Tagline: To release the greatest evil on earth all you have to do is say her name.

Actors: Jaason Simmons, Kim Tyler, Matt Borlenghi, Danni Hamilton, Amber Borycki, Eero Johnson, Christian Schrapff, Troy Turi, Anna Pippus, Lindsay Marett, Brianne Wigeland, Richard Carmen, Cory Monteith, Jessica Lous, Lauren Hammersley, Richard Valentine

Runtime: 1h 33m

Category: Ghost, Killer, Supernatural

Synopsis: Natalie is searching for her sister Nicole who has been missing for a week. She was a nurse at the State Psychiatric Hospital, where underneath lies a maze of electrical tunnels with one very specific end. It ends at a mirror…a simple mirror. But what only Nicole’s friends know is that behind that mirror lies the vengeful spirit of the one and only Bloody Mary; whom, thirty years earlier, had escaped into these very tunnels and starved to death. She’s real…as real as death. She took Nicole because she was talking too much, and now she is after the rest of her friends. With hospital staff and patients turning up dead and eyes gouged out, it’s up to Natalie and a police friend of hers to figure out just what the hell is going on up at that hospital. Can she stop Mary and end her murderous rampage?

Review: I’ve said it before and I’ll say it until the day my daughter takes over the site: expect nothing! Go into every movie with as few expectations as possible; that way, if there are let-downs, you’re not so crushed. That being said, I thought that Valentine did an excellent job portraying Bloody Mary. The visualizations and gore effects were well done and the story was very solid. I think we should be looking for more from Mr. Valentine.

The story was actually very good. I liked how they changed the rules a little bit. A little research will tell you that there are many different variations to this popular sleepover game; none of which include being naked. That is why I say they changed the rules. Valentine was successful in being able to change the rules for some mandatory toob-shots. He was also successful in getting three very attracting chicks to pop top and show some extra skin. Very nice. Other than that, the rest of the story was also very good. I liked how Mary was able to get to you through any mirror; very reminiscent of The Ring (2002). With this creepy story and some unexpected twists you’re sure to enjoy it.

The script was probably written by a bunch of artards with their thumbs up their butts. Thanks for the toob-shots and the gore, because the script sounded like something out of a Troma picture (no offense Troma…we love you; I’ll call you later). It isn’t the worst I’ve seen, but it was just so blah. Maybe it was because all of the actors seemed to have suffered emotional nerve damage. I don’t think I saw one emotion out of these turds; even the guy that got punched in the throat didn’t show emotion. The throat! That’s gotta freakin’ hurt, man. I would’a been hella-pissed. Damn! Well…I guess I can segue in the acting section now…

The acting was kinda…eh. Not terrific…not terrible. I think I could best describe it as…par. Just enough to get through the movie. Not a whole lot of convincing performances from anyone…but usually when chicks pop top in B-movies, like this one, there acting skills were not the reason they were hired…booyah!

The gore and effects were quite caliber for such an underrated film. I was surprised to see such attention to detail as I did here. With eye-gouging, and hammer-bashing, and some other bloody goodies, this would have to be the best part of the movie. I think that the amount of control over the death scenes was very well orchestrated (except for Railroad’s scene). It was nothing like Barricade (2007) or Hellraiser (1987), but definitely well done.

Rating: Weighing out all of the down points and the rest of the film, I’ve come up with a 16. Even though I very much enjoyed the movie, I have to be objective. The gore and story were very well done, but the acting and script were not as good. More weight was put into the positive side due to some righteous toob-shots of some very attractive women. If you get a chance and want to see a good B-rate flick, check this one out. The compelling story, twisties, and overwhelming sense of dread and paranoia well definitely feed your appetite. (16of25).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi ,
This movie was really awesome i like it too much..


r4 dsi