Friday, July 27, 2007

I Spit on Your Grave (1978)


Director: Meir Zarchi

Writer: Meir Zarchi

Tagline: This woman has just cut, chopped, broken and burned four men beyond recognition... but no jury in America would ever convict her!

Actors: Camille Keaton, Eron Tabor, Richard Pace, Anthony Nichols, Gunter Kleemann

Runtime: 1h 40m

Category: Revenge, Torture

Synopsis: Jennifer Hill is a New York writer who rents a house in a small town. Not long after moving in, she is brutally beaten and raped by the four degenerates that run the gas station. After healing and coming to the end of her rope, she sets out to get her revenge on the four men who beat and raped her.

Review: I do not think I have ever seen such a disturbing movie. I absolutely hated this movie in every way. Apart from my personal feelings, the movie was cinematically and structurally exquisite. The lack of any background music throughout the entire movie added to its harsh reality. Plus, all of the actors, as evil and heartless as they seemed, didn’t really seem to be acting at all! The movie seemed more like a documentary than a feature film. I believe that this fact made the movie much scarier than some of its counterparts; such as Deliverance (1972) and Last House on the Left (1972). One of this movie’s alternate titles describes the movie to a tee: The Rape and Revenge of Jennifer Hill. Overall I would say that this movie, as disgusting and grotesque as it was, is a cult classic…although I hated it.

Rating: Against my better judgment I must give this film it dues…15. If I had my druthers I would rate it much lower, yet as an objective viewer I must be fair. The sheer grit of the movie and the hyper-intensity of the whole ordeal made this movie. I wish I could be less appreciative, since this movie was just horrible on multiple levels, but my horror movie mentality would not allow. I would say that if this is the kind of flick you like, than by all means, get it! But if you are anything like me, meaning you enjoy a great horror movie but don’t like to see stuff like this, than this is not the movie for you! It is my duty to watch and report these movies to you with an objective mind…even if it means watching an extremely disgusting movie so you don’t have to. (15of25).

Buy this DVD at HKFlix.com

No comments: